Driving that innovation are close partnerships between companies and universities. Their synergy is yielding innovative applications for key sectors like renewable energy.
Battery manufacturers and recyclers are also investing millions to delve deeper into future applications for this essential technology.
Whether powering sustainable transportation, providing crucial emergency backup power, or safeguarding data connectivity, lead batteries are a vital part of our energy future.
Innovation is driving exciting changes in lead battery technology. Significant potential remains to push the boundaries in performance, applications, cost reduction and supply security.
- Performance improvements in lead batteries are transforming the transportation industry by reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, powering next-generation (xEVs) vehicles and increasing vehicle electrical demands.
- Ongoing, advanced research driven by partnerships between companies and universities is yielding new applications in energy storage and transportation.
- New lead battery advancements have extended the life of traditional batteries by 30 to 35 percent over the last 20 years. This enables low-cost, large-scale deployment of micro- and mild hybrids with significant fuel economy and reduced emissions.
- By 2020, it is predicted that the use of start-stop lead batteries will eliminate millions of tonnes of vehicle greenhouse gas emissions.
- Lead batteries provide auxiliary power for virtually all plug-in hybrid and full-electric vehicles.
- The next stage in performance, applications, cost reduction and supply security are already part of lead batteries innovative future plans.